Wednesday, December 26, 2007

--------Prayer Before Meals-------


During the past year or two many of my friends and I have decided to disgard a common chrisitan pratice which is praying before our meals. Basically we are reacting to the abuse or misuse of this christian spiritual discipline. And maybe in our abandoning of the practice we are making a statement or maybe just tring to distance ourselves from what we percieve to be corruption or we are just in pursuit of what is good and true. I guess we have lots of reasons, and I would say that for the most part they are good reasons.

However;
During this entire time there was a part of me that was screaming "foolishness" (now ususally I worry when part of myself is screaming at another part of myself lol). I guess that even though I could see the abuse and that something needed to be done, I couldnt and still can't get away from the fact that this practice was started for a reason. And I somehow feel foolish for leaving this practice because I feel that I am neglecting the wisdom from those who have gone before me.

Recently Dr. Mathews (MVNU prof of Theology) introduced me to proper thinking in this area, more specifically he reaffirmed my inhibition in regards to the flippant abandonment of historical practices. "Functional dynamic equivilant" is the fun new term that he gave to me. Basically it means the when one thing that had an original purpose is left something new must be pick up to fullfill the same role, or purpose.

From my understanding praying before our meals is a practice that is used to remind us of God's provision and instill a sense a contentment and gratitude as a part of our character. Obviously this has long been forgotten by Christianity as a whole and the practice has become a religious ritual that you just do if your a Christian. So I believe that the practice needs to be abandoned by our generation and picked back up again once several generations have died out, and with them the perversion of this beautiful practice.

So my question is: What is the functional dynamic equivilant of praying before meals???

6 comments:

J.S. said...

Some thoughts: singing a song or hymn of praise when with a group of friends; when alone, sing a song or hymn of praise to God; when in a public place, take time to share what you are thankful for beyond the food and then include the food in that, praying for those who do not have such great richness that we do.

Post, or write me back with what you think, Steven.

Daniel Coutz said...

I don't think you do need to abandon this custom or ritual or whatever you want to call it. Just because there are people that pervert or forget the real meaning of why a custom was started does not mean we need to abandon it. What it does mean is that when we see something like this taking place that we fullfill its original intention and are sincere in its practice. There are many Christian rituals that I personally do not want to abandon because others misuse them or don't realize their full significance.

Justin said...

I think the better question is: what is the primary subcutaneous existential relationship between a bowl of soup and an antidisestablishmentarian?

Anonymous said...

I wonder when and in what culture that specific custom started?

Heath Countryman said...

IMO, The functional dynamic equivalent would be another act of thanksgiving, since the practice of "Giving Thanks" is really what a pre-meal prayer is all about. Perhaps something such as setting aside a dollar each meal to give to a ministry for the poor or homeless would be a good idea. The approximate $1,000 per year in additional giving may remind the individual to return to a spirit of thanksgiving for the ease with which they are able to provide for themselves...

I found your site via your sister... I look forward to checking back in often.

Cathey said...

I wonder about the example we are setting for children that are eating the meal with us - aren't we modeling an attitude of gratefulness when we thank God for the meal? Granted we are to maintain an attitude of thankfulness at all time as we commune with God through out the day, but we are still on this earth to be teachers and leaders for the Kingdom. I'm thinking that some children come from homes that only hear God mentioned at mealtime and then it may only at the mealtime of the household they are visiting. Aren't we planting a seed each time someone hears us pray? Further, speaking as someone who can still remember when prayer was allowed in public (government) school, I appreciate the freedom to pray and train children to pray.

BTW, you're my favorite son!!:)