Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Gospel

Recently Christ has been taking me on a journey in my understanding of the gospel. You see its a strange thing because the gospel is something that is suppose to be so important and even central to our faith. But so many times when a message moves to talking about the gospel, I get bored and check out, or a book starts talking about Jesus dieing on the cross, I just skip ahead. The "gospel" is elementary, or something that new believers think about and deal wtih, but us mature Christians need only to pass it on to potential converts when the occasion arise but move on to more important or relevant Christian issues.

But wait something is wrong here! The gospel, the good news, how can it be boring? How can it be irrelevant? Shouldn't it excite my soul, shouldn't it make me come alive when I ponder it's mysteries? But wait what mystery is there really. Growing up in the church I can give you the romans road, or the 4 spiritual laws, or some other mechanical rendition of the "gospel". But how can we boil something like the gospel (the good news!) down in to a simple formula? How can you mechanize life? How can you systematize grace? What has the modern church done with the gospel? I've come to see that the gospel is rich and deep and profound, yet simple, its beautiful in a way that can't be describe, it's a mystery that we we will ponder for a life time, it is the greatest most aw inspireing thing that has or will ever enter into my existence. It is my life. It defines who I am. Imagine me, a student studying to go into full time Ministry, and I am just now beginning to understand the gospel. Something is wrong!

So are we missing something? What is the gospel?

No comments: