Wednesday, April 16, 2008

{{{{{{ Ambiguity of lifes porous boundaries }}}}}}}}

As I was reading a blog recently I got to thinking about some of the issues that were brought up at least indirectly. The issues was a question asking to define the difference between emerging and emergent. I really valued the response that was given by Tony Jones which basically critiqued the incessant need to label and categorize everything(typical postmodern critique). Of course this in my mind has a lot of value. But at the same time this thinking scares me immensely. This here introduces a trend that I see in my culture and in a lot of conversation that partake in. This fear and hatred of "labeling", or this overwhelming resistance to any kind of categorization, beurocracy, or even structure. (ex. What are you?? oh I am not part of a denomination I am non-denom.. or I'm not anything I am a Christian) And obviously the impetus for this thinking is the damage caused by excesses of the modern age (boxing people and life). But I am so afraid of this postmodern critique becoming the answer and then we are just in the same place again only looking differently. The fact is that our minds are built to categorize, we define and label everything throughout our day, that is how we think, and to try to move into some totally ambiguous blob of no boundaries seems to me to be somewhat foolish. Isnt there a proper place for label/defining/categorizing things even people??? Can these not be useful tool during some times and in some places.

This is where I like to concept of the hermenuetic circle which bascially means that we move from the whole to its parts and back to the whole again in a type of free flowing dance. Here it seems to me that labels and categories and structure are valuable tools or metaphors(dr. wright:) ) that allow us to think and speak rationally about reality. But at the same time we remember that they are just that, a metaphor, or a tool and should be put down when necessary.

The beauty of the metaphor is that it opens some doors and closes other doors. The emphasis that I wish to use here is that it "opens some doors"!!!!!

I'm just afraid of simply being apart of yet another historical reaction that just jumps to the other side and misses Jesus once again, but at the same time claims to have him. lol

5 comments:

Heath Countryman said...

Well, I admit I am mixed on the labels... It seems I don't mind being labeled as long as I approve of the label. And I think thats the key... We are not afraid of names when we like them...

Recently I took a theological worldview quiz which said I am pretty far on the emergent side of things. And I guess that doesn't scare me too much because I do see a lot of positives in the emerging/emergent church. However, I also find many components of the movement that unsettle me, so in that aspect I am not ready to fully embrace the label.

But at the end of the day, I guess I agree that labels are helpful... after all, without the labels, how would we know who all the "fightin' fundies" were? :)

Cathey said...

Labels have their place in human interactions. They provide us with a bit of a safety net as they help us to define our boundaries in relationships. I'm speaking of the labels related to the human condition such as needy, possessive, demanding, enabeling, etc. While it is true that our brains designed to categorize I am often reminded of a clip board that belonged to Dr. Jerry Flexman, neuropsychologist. I worked for Jerry for many years and greatly admire him for one primary reason - this clip board. You see, Jerry diagnosed people with mental disorders. Some of them were really off the wall and would make you shake your head and wonder how they even make it through each day. Some smelled bad. One guy brought in a bird cage with his pet cockatiel because he believed it would keep the evil spirits away. Do you know what was so special about Jerry's clip board? He had written a reminder to himself on the clip that said, How would Jesus see this person? I thought this was an amazing thing for a doctor and scientist to do.

I share this story to highlight the negative side of labels.I doubt Jesus looks at us and assigns labels to us the way we do to each other.

I know you were addressing the labels used in philosophical and theological discussions. But I have to wonder if we as Christians feel compelled to label each other because it gives us permission to be dismissive of each other. If we are dismissive of each other then we are not likely to exhort each other in prayer and join together in ministry. We therefore live in a divided house and are less effective in spreading the gospel. And who is happy about that? The enemy, of course.

Bottom line, labels have their place as long as we are able to see past them in a Jesus-way.

-Steb- said...

I think that we agree mom. Thanks for the thought......... love you by the way!!!!!

-Steb- said...

Heath:

You! Emergent! lol lol thats funny.
But I wonder, you said that your not fully ready to embrace the label. Well my question in return is this. What would qualify one to embrace the label of emergent or any other thing??? At what point should you embrace the label?? Thank you for you comment my friend.

Oh and I hope that the gathering is still developing well!! I look forward to meeting you here in a few weeks friend.

Heath Countryman said...

I guess I have always said, if the shoe fits, I will gladly wear it. I like the labels "Wesleyan" and "Open Theist," but "Emergent" has such a broad brush right now that I am not sure it fits... yet...

Anyways, plans are going well for The Gathering. The district is sending Luann and I to the Newstart Assessment in Colorado Springs, July 18-21. If that goes well, we will be presenting the proposal to the D.A.B. in September... I am currently getting feedback from some fellow pastors... mostly positive so far. Also, I have the proposal up on the web at http://www.discoverthegathering.com